Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Last Day

Today was my last day!
It was very sad! I shall miss every one very much.
My internship definitely was interesting and things went very unexpectedly.
I don't feel like I progressed much on the professional level as far as keeping up with responsibilities and learning a lot about social work. I learn a lot about the people and what makes them tick.
I think it was good for me to be on the other side. I got to be friends with the people I one day hope to help. I don't think I will ever be able to look across a desk and be deceived or prejudice towards the people I work with.
Being with these people who run free in society, people who almost have their own society, I will never group them or classify them. I hope they will always remain people to me with real needs and real stories.
If anything I learned that God is at work in their lives and in their situations and it is my job to live with these people and walk along side them and point him out.
The word says we will always have the poor among us, so I know there will always be homeless people and there will always be people who work the system.
But now more than ever I see how important it is for people to be treated with respect and kindness no matter what condition they may be in, because all people have worth and value because they are created in the image of God.
I know that I spent my time with people who will remember me.
I hope when I come back a few years from now I run into them again, but I hope they are helping in the cafe and I hope they have jobs. I hope they overcome their addictions and know Jesus for who he really is.

No comments: