Tuesday, June 17, 2008

" What I'm Sayin Is"

Bob: Long gray hair even though he's partially balding.
Long beard, some times he wears a helmet , sometimes he doesn't.
His eyes are bright most days but you can tell his intelligence and presence of mind has worn down after years of combat. He says the same thing to me every day " you are sweet and lovable and you deserve to be told that every day". Good thing I have Bob to tell me.
Sometimes Bob spits when he talks, especially when he drinks coffee and it gets stuck in his beard. I have mastered the art of discreetly wiping my arms down with Clorox wipes while he is talking to me. I have learned many things from Bob I never wanted to know.
He told me all about his life before he went to Vietnam, before Agent Orange.
Bob likes to interrupt me a lot and he also talks with out stopping. He gets really close to my face and I have to back away. This is great for me to practice listening to him, and hearing what he is saying while maintaining good boundaries.
Bob has challenged me to learn how to ask good questions. I have to remember what I was talking about and be able to bring it back up in a tactful way.

Bob told me about his " little kitty" and his 2 bedroom house with wall to wall carpet. " It's a palace " he tells me. " With running water and e-lec-tricty. I even have myself a stereo! "
Bob has dementia and PTSD. His room mate Ron says sometimes he finds Bob crawling through the house at night whispering to himself.
Bob is not homeless but he comes to the shelter every day any ways.
My first thought is that he needs help, and why don't guys like him have a case manager? What about counselling... what about life abundant for Bob?
Who will help him if he can't help himself.
It makes me a little ... pissed?

No comments: