Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day Two - Coffee Snack and Dignity

So, the cafe is an old chapel/multipurpose room with round tables and chairs.
It is getting ready to be converted into a real cafe so it looks a little strange to the new comer,
but I don't think any one else notices.
Today, I recognized the regulars. They read the paper, play yatzee or read books while they drink their coffee. The cafe opens at 9 am and closes at 11:30. At 9:30 Cory gives a devotion.
His very clear and loud voice catches the attention of the cafe goers as he tells them each day that " we take time to pause and pray and hear from God". He tells them that we don't want to shove anything down any ones throat and that he is going to pray so if any one wants to leave that would be the opportune moment to step outside.
As Cory started to bow his head to pray I saw a tall blond, bearded guy stand up. " I am gettin' the hell out of here..." I just smiled a little bit and looked at Cory. He didn't bat an eyelash and continued on with his prayer. Bearded guy I now know as Dennis, he is another story entirely.
Today people are remembering my name which is funny.
There is not a whole lot for me to do this week because we have extra help, so today I just sat and talked with people and tried to find out more about their lives.
What I realized most is that people are people and they have feelings no matter what shape their lives are in. Homeless people hurt too. Sometimes all they need is for some one to sit and listen to their life story, how they became homeless or which scar came from what.
As I meet people my mind in curious and always inquiring about peoples life situations or state of mental health. It has only been two days and I have seen a host of mental disorders.
Dignity. This word strikes me today. These people come in to get coffee. Fair Trade, excellently brewed coffee. They read the paper and catch up on current events.
I wonder how many suited business men around America are doing the same thing...

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love this Morgan! How great to hear your thoughts on the place God has you in right now. Keep the blogs coming!