Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Secret to Making Bread

Today was an interesting day.
The first day I arrived at the cafe I noticed a well groomed man with salt and pepper hair, more salt than pepper if you know what i mean. He is tall which is strange because most of us at the shelter are on the shorter side. He is well mannered and kind and seems out of place at the cafe. I think that is why he first caught my attention.
Today I got to hear all about his life. Tall S n' P guy is now George from Detroit. He was a cook in the merchant marines for most of his adult life and he has traveled all over the world.
A few years ago he had a stroke and lost his job . He was in the hospital for a month and then he went to rehab for another month. After he got out he was out of a job.
I asked him how long had he been homeless and he said for about two months. " I've never been homeless before" he told me. " It's scary".
George is a kind soul. He is one of those people you spot out in a crowd. You know he would talk to you on the bus. If you were an old lady he would carry your groceries home for you.
George asked me all about my life too. During out 10 minute devotions at 9:30 every morning he is always present and at attention.
We have had three classes so far this week and today was his second time to come. " It fascinates me, everything Cory ( my boss...) talks about. He doesn't talk about Jesus like I have heard all these years". George has my attention now. I ask him to tell me more about that. " I have been searching for a while now. I almost converted to Buddhism because it made sense to me." George is definitely in the right place to be searching.
During our class this afternoon he took notes and listened wide eyed and anxious for the next word. This is the stuff right here.
The rest of the day followed as usual. John and his Amen's and Yes Lords echoed through the room ( It's a bit more echo-y since the remodel, we have tile instead of carpet!). Boundaries are always being pushed and its a struggle to maintain the appropriate amount of distance.
Then there is the being hit on ( why do I only get asked out at the homeless shelter...), the occasional profanity, the regulars, including Bob and his room mate Ron. Ron comes every day with a smile. He has one tooth and is balding with a pony tail. And then there are the new comers who always ask for two snacks when we can always only give them one.
We have added a new element to our routine! Because of our new tile floor we no longer have to worry about spilling coffee on the carpet, but this produces coffee stains on blue tile. We have taken to throwing a few Clorox wipes on the ground and moping by foot. Who needs a mop when you have Clorox wipes?
We have the cleaning ladies come in and get coffee and the occasional Case Manager.
And then there was Dennis wanting to roll a fatty in the men's room. Ha ha.
I didn't see Deborah today at the cafe but I did see her walking down the road.
In all my conversations today something that George said has stuck with me all day.
I asked him what his favourite thing to cook was and he replied right away with a HUGE smile: Bread. What is t he secret to making bread? I ask him. He looks down at his hands for a fraction of a second, still smiling, and then he looks up at me again his eyes dancing and replies:
" Patience".
So maybe people and bread have something in common. Who would have thought!

No comments: