Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day One

I got out of my car and walked up to the Social Service Center of the Salvation Army. I saw a friendly face and asked where the cafe was located. I started to take notice of this man who was speaking to me. Mid 40's, weathered skin, tattoos , rolled bandanna around his
head in rock n' roll fashion. He kindly told me all about the rock concert he had been to the night before as well as pointing me towards the right direction and asking me for my number.
The beginning of a beautiful summer.
I went to the Salvation Army with one expectation, that we would be serving coffee to homeless people.
My first day was a bit awkward as I tried to figure out exactly where I fit in at the cafe.
I was assigned to hand out snack to our patrons and was informally educated on the Salvation Army and its history.

Cory and Laura: Founders of the Cafe. Cory is a preacher at heart and Laura usually hands out snack. Laura is great because she calls every one sweetie. She is amazing at keeping up with people and remembering names. Cory is great because he can talk over 30 people milling around while keeping his concentration.

John: The Coffee Guy. John keeps the coffee flowing and instructs me to wash cups or refill the sugar shakers. John is great because he is humble and he makes good coffee. John is Black and that also adds to his greatness. He "Amen"s and " Yes, Lord"s when we pray. It makes my heart glad.

The cafe is interesting to me because it is intertwining Social work and Ministry. I feel this is how the church should operate and in many places it does. So how do you do Social Work in a Christian setting among homeless people.
I guess I am going to find out.

No comments: