Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day Three - Drama, Jamie and Tent City

Day three and I seem to have the routine down.
Hand out snack, fill the sugar shakers, say no to drugs. Got it.
Today I saw a huge insight into the homeless world. What happens when you live with a group of people 24/7, a group of people who cannot find jobs ( for what ever reason), can not shower regularly and have various mental disabilities? DRAMA. You get heaps of drama.
Cory's devotion today was about drama and how when we live with people we get stuck in a constant world of drama and sometimes we feel like we can't escape, but we can. It all starts with what each of us individually does with out mouth and with our time.
So the police came because there was a "fight"...
And then there was Jamie. Jamie is 20 years old and has been engaged several times. she claims she is pregnant and it kinds looks like she is, but no one is really sure. It makes me so sad to see some one my age who is homeless! I keep thinking there is so much hope for her and she still has a chance. I wonder what her story is.
I also learned about Tent City today. Tent city is the City's way of dealing with the homeless population. All the homeless have been given a tent and moved to a piece of land out of sight( out of mind...). And they exists there in a community of perpetual homelessness. Now you have people who need encouragement and help from people who are not like them all living with people who are in the same situation they are... The police do not enter Tent City, so you can imagine that there are quite a few shenanagins that go down there. Drugs, Sex and Rock n' Roll etc.
I think because these people live is such a state of drama all the time it has effected their way of thinking. It's like they live in an entirely different world now that consists of what little they have, and what is going on with every one in their circle. They don't think reasonably any more.
When I left today I saw one of the most precious ladies that comes to the cafe on the side of the road. I had no idea, but I guess she went back to work. She was standing on a street corner, waiting.

No comments: