Monday, July 28, 2008

Debbie

Today we gained a new volunteer.
Her name is Debbie. She has been hanging around for about a month now.
She is really sweet. Larent, our new cup washer, water fetcher , is good friends with Debbie.
Every morning when she comes in he sneaks over and hands her three Sweet n' Low because hs can't have sugar. Its pretty romantic.
I told Debbie I would be leaving soon and she needed to take my place. I told her sometimes people just need some one to talk to and that she had a lot of offer the people. Even if it was just hugs. I think she will stick around for a little while. She lives in the shelter that is right next door to the cafe. I am excited to see what happens with her.
We are loosing a lot of people to tent city. Tent city is a homless village with showers, tents that lock, and washers and dryers. You have to have a voucher to get in. Once you get in you are given a bus pass and a free place to stay. Its a pretty sweet deal. The police don't even interfere with the drug trafficking that goes on there.
It is not a place I want any of the people in our cafe going too.
I've really grown to love the people there and it will be sad not to see them every day.
I think I will wonder what becomes of all of them.

No comments: