Monday, July 21, 2008

Miz Mathis

Miz Mathis lives in a whole 'nother world.
She usually comes in every day to get her coffee.
She wears 4 crosses and one medallion of the virgin Mary and one crucifix for "sinners".
Today she came in and sat down at her usual table and instead of getting coffee like she usually does, she got lemonade. Everything was completely normal until she started to put cream and sugar into her lemonade. Once she had measured the proper amount into her coffee mug, she began to furiously whip her lemonade concoction.
I walked over and asked her what she was making " Ice cream" she told me.
" This is how them Italians do it, yes. Yes sir..." And she just kept whipping away.
She is probably one of the craziest ladies I have ever met. She is hilarious.
Miz Mathis has two sons and we aren't quite sure how old they are but they are out there some where. I wonder if Miz Mathis is out at the shelter on her own accord, or if she is because of her mental incompetencies. I wonder if her sons are looking for her or care where she is.
I like talking to Miz Mathis and half the time she talks about things that don't make any sense. Some times she comes in all beat up. She says that she starts the fights and she jumps on people. Some how I doubt that's true.
I wish I could do more for her or help her some how.
But a life on the street where she is free to go where she wants almost seems better than a life in a metal institution behind bars where she would live her life in a medicated fog.
The new helpers continue to be amazing in taking on the coffee making duties!
I like it because I spend less time washing cups and more time talking to people.
One of the guys has even opened his own community house. He rents out different parts of his old house to the homeless and has bible study. He just got engaged and is buying a house. He just got a truck! He is doing amazing!
It's awesome to see two men who have gotten out of the life of homelessness and now live their lives for Jesus who saved them. Now in turn they are giving their lives back to the people they used to sleep next to on the street.
I think this is how it's supposed to go .

No comments: