Monday, July 21, 2008

Spagetti

Raspy Voice Ron has a Spagetti Run!
Every Monday night, Ron who lives in the slum, goes out and buys noodles and sauce. He cooks it and serves it to the homeless downtown. And they love him.
Ron is so rich in love. He does a great job caring for the people on the street.
He lives in a slum yet he takes time and puts forth the effort to feed those who are worse off than he is. Ron amazes me! He doesn't even have the money to pay for enough water to shower every day, yet he spends his money on feeding people.
The more and more I am at my internship I am beginning to realize that maybe God hasn't called me to just go to work and help people and then go home. Perhaps he is calling me to give of myself and my money and my time.
Maybe I need to live life in a different way. I'm not sure what that looks like. But when I see people from the cafe out on the street selling papers on Sunday mornings or sleeping in a park down town, I can't help but see them and think, " hey, that's my friend". Details about their life and who they are come to my mind and they aren't just homeless people or people I talk to at a cafe from 8:30 to 1:30 Monday through Friday.
They are Raspy voice Ron who would give you the shirt of his back and Keith the news paper guy who sleeps on his sail boat.
They are the least of these, the beloved, the bride of Christ.
Why don't I make spagetti for the homeless every Monday night?

No comments: