Monday, July 28, 2008

Friends

Time has passed quickly and I find myself among friends when I arrive at the shelter.
We are always happy to see each other after a long weekend.
Its strange because I feel like I need to view the people I work with more as clients and less like friends. But they are more friends than anything.
Today I had an interesting encounter with Miz Mathis. She was talking about some pretty crazy things and I realize more and more that she really needs help.
I want to find a way to get her help, but I don't think she would take it. She would choose her crazy life of freedom over a safe, non-violent life where she was trapped inside buildings.
That is probably the hardest part. So many of the homeless people don't take help when they can get it.
I think shame and pride stops them the most out of anything.
I have to check myself because that makes me angry. I am always thinking that they should do whatever it takes to get out of their situation no matter what kind of help they have to take to get out.
I have to constantly put myself in their shoes and think what I would do.
I think I've come to the conclusion that some people just aren't that desperate. The ones who are do what ever they can to get back on their feet and they do.
So how do we enable the rest of the group to move on and see a better way of life and achieve it?

No comments: