Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Miracle Question

In counseling there is this technique called "The Miracle Question".
I think it is my favourite question to ask people because it tells you where they are and where they would like to go.
Today I asked my friend Dennis the miracle question. Dennis is probably the most unlovable person I have ever met, yet still lovable at the same time.
A little while ago we had some hair stylists volunteer and give free hair cuts to all the people who live outside on the porch as well as the people who live inside the shelter. A hair cut can make a world of difference.
After Dennis got his hair cut he some how looked more human. Instead of just seeing a homeless junkie when I looked at him, I could see a young university student and a businessman. He even seemed to hold his head up higher. He stopped wearing a hat every day.
So, the miracle question. I asked him " If a miracle happened tonight while you were sleeping and you woke up tomorrow and everything was fixed what would be the first thing that would be different from now?" He didn't even hesitate and while looking down at his hand full of cards he said " I would be off drugs. That would fix my whole life probably".
Imagine that. The guy who comes in every day high, talking about what drugs he did last night or what he has in his pocket. Even Dennis wants his life back. How human is that?
I knew it was in there some where.
I think the challenge in this situation is to keep a distance and not get too emotionally involved.
Its good for me to see the heart in people. Rough people still have hearts.
I need to start assuming every one has a heart even if it's layered under 1o years of
life on heroine, disappointment and cynicism.
Yeah.

No comments: