Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Tactics of ... Avoidance?

So, what do you do when you get hit on every day?
How do you prevent it? How do you dress professionally yet not too attractively?
" How old are you?" they ask me.
I have developed various answers to that question " It's not polite to ask a lady her age!"
or my favourite " How old are YOU?" When they hesitate I usually say " excuse me, I need to refill my coffee..."
This could be a huge issue in working with adult men. I have been asked for my phone number probably fifty times in the course of 8 weeks or so.
Also one of the guys who volunteers at the shelter is always flirting with me and he has even touched my hair a few times... AWKWARD. I feel like approaching him about the matter would create huge, unnecessary drama( he is a really dramatic guy) so I have developed a tactic of avoidance. Tactic of Avoidance: Do not give more than a slight smile, do not have conversation, avoid the person , seek the company of of others and stay in conversation with others, NEVER BE ALONE WITH THEM!
It never really occurred to me that this could be an issue. The challenge: keeping Godly femininity in tact while being as professional as possible.
This could be an attitude and a way of speaking more than a way to dress...

2 comments:

titanium said...

This is something that affects me too- especially as I'm in computer science- lots of guys who don't see very many girls.

I admit I'm guilty of being a bit harsh- but I don't want to lead anyone on, and these nerdy guys make me uncomfortable- a bit desperate I guess.

The eye contact thing is important- but the talking to others thing is rough when you don't know other people in the labs, and there aren't many girls around. :)

Dress? well, I'm a student, so... pretty sloppy. :)

PS remember me?

Lisa said...

I think you've totally got a great attitude about it Morgs. Sometimes it's not worth confronting, but trying to stay out of the situation. Although, if it gets too wierd, I'm sure there's a polite, yet clear way to make your desires known to co-worker dude. Sometimes boys are a bit oblivious about these things...I miss you!