Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Raspy Voice Ron

So Ron is this guy with one tooth. He is hilarious! His voice sounds like the raspyness has been developed over 30 years of smoking and alcohol consumption. It sounds like it hurts when he talks. Naturally being very curious about the raspyness of Ron's voice I finally got the nerve to ask him about it. It turns out that Ron has esophageal cancer!
I freaked out on him and all he would say is " Ahhh ( think raspy voice here...) I got the big man upstairs takin' care of me. I'm not worried".
The thing that gets me is that Ron still smokes. !!!! What is he THINKING! I think this is the general attitude I find myself having about most of the people: What are you thinking?!?!
I have to stop myself and ask, what are you thinking?
Today we watched some videos on youtube and the response was interesting to say the least.
We watched various salvation army commercials and then we watched a music video by Sarah McLachlan called world on fire. The video was made for 15 dollars and the rest of the 15,000 dollars was sent to places that desperately needed the money. The whole video was about ways you could spend the money. It was crazy to see people really thinking about the reality that some one could be poorer than they are. You could literally see their wheels turning and for a good minute the whole room sat in complete silence.
I am really seeing that in order for people to become well, many times it takes broadening their world view. I think the idea of introducing these very poor, yet very rich homeless to the desperate and dying people of the rest of the world is essential.
Many of the people at the cafe have attended college. They are part of that slim one percent of the world that has college education!
They are being fed, they have clothes, they have opportunity. I want them to realize how rich they are. I want to realize how rich I am .

No comments: