Monday, July 28, 2008

Pride

Today I asked George if he planned to stay homeless.
He told me he didn't, but he doesn't seem like he is in any huge hurry to get things together.
He had appointments with the counselors today to look at his resume so hopefully he'll find a job soon. I asked him if he would consider working at a crappy job for a little while to save some money. He said " What like McDonalds! You have got to be outta your mind!".
I meet so many people who won't take jobs because they are more qualified than the jobs require.
There is this sense of pride among the homeless that says there are some things I just won't do.
But would I do them? I can't imagine being a software engineer for a huge company, having a stroke and then ending up homeless and working at Taco Bell.
But it's work right? So maybe I would.
Some times I wish I had a frying pan to carry around. I could just thump people over the head and then they would magically realize that they have to work.
Maybe George will get the job he is looking for.
He has only been homeless for three months. Maybe if he doesn't get a job he wants he will work some where crappy to get ahead.
I think I would have that pride as well. But then again the poorest of the poor in the world live off less than a dollar a month or something crazy like that.
So any American working at McDonalds is still in the very small portion of the world that RICH.

No comments: