Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Visitor from another world

Yesterday my friend ( client?) Dino from the cafe came to visit me at work.
He is a dear old man and he was with man who he has become friends with recently. I think the man has taken him under his wing and is working to get Dino housing and maybe even a meal or two here and there. This is great to see happening because it is essential of the community to get involved in helping people. What ever D's problems may be, he has a huge need for people in his life who do not live, talk, or think like a homeless person.
Later on I got to thinking, is it weird that he came to see me? I told him where I worked. He is the only person I have told because I think D is harmless. And it did not interrupt my work and I felt safe. So I think it was ok.
My supervisor Cory is very wise about who he lets into the other part of his life. The part outside the cafe. He actually has a man living with his family that used to be homeless. The man has come light years from where he was when Cory first met him. It all started with Cory asking is the man wanted to stay on his couch. One night turned into almost 2 years now. And now the man helps us run the cafe.
With the Salvation Army it is very evident that life and work are ministry and the two are not separate.
I see the value in that because our lives need to be a ministry. But it is good for me to realize as well that many times in the kind of work I will go into that will not be the case.
I am reminded that I need to be very cautious of with whom I share information.
I do not regret telling Dino where I work and I hope he comes to visit me again. It did remind me that not every one is a 70 year old man.
Lesson: When confronted with visitors from the "world of work" be kind and professional. Choose wisely to whom you will reveal personal details.

No comments: